Sunil Samanta

Sunil Samanta
Rising India, Sunil Samanta web designer

Sunday, 3 April 2011


If you think that smoking is not addictive, that cigarettes are a good way to control your weight, and that cigarettes really aren't such a bad habit, we've got news for you. Women have become addicted to cigarettes over the years, and the tobacco industry has become addicted to women. The industry has spent billions of dollars to get women hooked on one of the most destructive substances in existence. Smoking increases a woman's risk of heart disease, stroke, and many forms of cancer. Smoking reduces fertility, increases the risk of pregnancy complications like premature birth and low birth weight, and leads to an earlier menopause.

Effects of Alcohol on the Body
Alcohol affects the body in two ways: (1) it comes in contact with the mouth linings, esophagus, stomach, and intestine, where it acts as an irritant and an "anesthesia" (causing insensitivity to pain with or without loss of consciousness) and (2) Only 20% of ingested alcohol are absorbed through the stomach; the other 80% are absorbed through the intestinal linings directly into the blood stream, reaching every cell in the body. Any intake of alcohol will produce intoxication.
What alcohol does is to "depress," or slow down, the functioning of the body's cells and organs until they are less efficient. Its effect on the brain influences the center responsible for coordinating the senses, perception, speech and judgment. It produces slurring of speech and errors in the thinking process. It also affects the coordination and balance, causing the drinker to stagger, to fall or be unable to hold a lit match steadily. Although alcohol depresses bodily functions, it often stimulates inhibitions. Emotions are more easily expressed because that part of the brain that enables us to control our behavior is depressed or relaxed, so the emotions become exhilarated. If enough alcohol is consumed, the drinker will fall asleep or, in extreme cases, he or she may lapse into a coma. High alcohol consumption increases the risk of cancers of the mouth, tongue, pharynx (back of the throat), larynx (voice box) and the esophagus, probably due to irritant action. Liver diseases due to alcohol include "fatty liver," hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver cancer. Severe thiamine deficiency can cause heart failure, usually combined with edema (fluid collection in the tissues). Alcohol increases the risk of coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, and stroke.

Others disorders associated with high alcohol consumption include gastritis, pancreatitis, neuritis (nervous disorder), and peptic ulcer. Alcohol abusers are more likely than others to suffer from anxiety, paranoia, and depression. They are also more likely to have dementia (irreversible mental deterioration). In the short run, the body is able to adjust to alcohol's depressant effects. After a while, however, the body is unable to maintain its equilibrium and the more sinister negative effects of alcohol will become apparent. There is only so much the liver can do to metabolizes toxic substances in the body. At first the conditions will reverse themselves if alcohol intake is stopped. If it continues, however, permanent, irreversible changes may occur. Alcohol may cause sterility and impotence, and it tends to slow down the functions of a developing fetus, just as it slows down the functions of body cells and organs. It may well result in structural and functional disorders in the child, including retardation. These disorders, known as "fetal alcohol syndrome," include incomplete limb development, facial deformities and abnormal brain development, leading to impairment of intellectual and motor (movement) abilities. There is also evidence that women may have more miscarriages, smaller babies, and more behavioral difficulties in the child. These babies also grow more slowly than those of mothers who practice abstinence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your valuable time and support.